Turkey Meatballs in Spicy Tomato Basil Sauce with Fresh Mozzarella
Community Recipe from
- 1-1/2 pound(s) Lean ground turkey
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup(s) Breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon(s) Dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon(s) Fresh basil Minced
- 1 teaspoon(s) Cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
- For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) Olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves Chopped
- 15 ounce(s) Can plain tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Red chile flakes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon(s) Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 6 ounce(s) Fresh mozzarella Cubed
- 2 tablespoon(s) Fresh basil Chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment.
- To a large bowl, add the ground turkey, eggs, breadcrumbs, oregano, basil, cumin, mustard, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and cayenne, if using. Mix together until combined. Shape mixture into 1-inch meatballs and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes until cooked through and browned.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by heating the olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes, stirring, one minute, or until fragrant but without browning the garlic. Add tomato sauce to the pan, followed by sugar and salt. Turn heat to medium-low and allow to simmer until the meatballs are finished baking.
- When the meatballs are done, add them to the skillet with the sauce. Spoon the sauce over the meatballs to coat. Sprinkle the fresh mozzarella over top and allow to cook 5 more minutes or so until the cheese melts. Sprinkle the fresh basil over top and serve over pasta cooked al dente.
- *I have also used 1 teaspoon of dry mustard in place of the dijon mustard in
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MaryannWimberly and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Turkey Meatballs in Spicy Tomato Basil Sauce with Fresh Mozzarella Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes