8 lbs tomatoes, cut into chunks 1 large onion, chopped 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1 small dried hot pepper, chopped (optional) 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp salt, preferably sea salt, divided 2 cups Italian bread, torn into bite-size pieces 3/4 cup 1 percent milk 1 lb ground turkey (93 percent lean) 1 egg, beaten 1/2 lb whole-wheat spaghetti Grated Parmesan or Romano (optional)
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 8 pound(s) tomatoes cut into chunks
- 1 lg onion chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) plus 1 1/2 tbp olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon(s) plus 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cup(s) italian bread torn into bite size pcs
- 5 clove(s) garlic chopped
- 3/4 cup(s) 1 percent milk
- 1 pound(s) ground turkey 93 percent lean
- 1 egg beaten
- Heat oven to 400°. In a large baking dish, combine tomatoes, onion, 1/4 cup oil, garlic, pepper flakes (if desired) and 1 tbsp salt; cover; roast 45 minutes. Remove dish from oven; mash mixture to break down tomatoes. Cook, uncovered, until sauce is thick and reduced, 45 minutes. In a bowl, soak bread in milk until it absorbs liquid, 10 minutes; add turkey, egg and remaining 1 tsp salt; mix until just combined. Gently roll meat mixture into 16 equal-sized balls. In a large nonstick saucepan, heat remaining 1 1/2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Sauté meatballs, turning occasionally, until light brown, 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce to meatballs; reduce heat; simmer until cooked through, 20 minutes. Cook pasta as directed on package. Serve sauce over pasta; top with cheese, if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by salter572 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note