My family liked this soup -- very kid-friendly. It's not going to shoot up to the top of our favorites list, but I'd make it again on a cold winter evening. It's comforting and healthy.
Turkey Meatball Soup with Greens
We like the tenderness of lacinato kale, but you can substitute other varieties in this soup.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
- Calories: 264
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 30.7g
- Carbohydrate: 18.1g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 608mg
- Calcium: 271mg
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated and divided (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 8 cups trimmed chopped lacinato kale (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- 1. Combine turkey, quinoa, 1/4 cup cheese, parsley, basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 2 garlic cloves, and egg in a large bowl; mix gently just until combined. Working with damp hands, shape turkey mixture into 24 meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each).
- 2. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 12 meatballs; cook 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining 12 meatballs. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots and celery to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add remaining 4 garlic cloves; sauté 1 minute. Add kale, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stock; bring to a boil. Return meatballs to pan. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until kale is tender and meatballs are done. Ladle 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; divide remaining cheese evenly among bowls. Serve with lemon, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note