This soup was good. I added more lemon and more salt because I used unsalted homemade chicken stock. I'm not sure if I'd make it again, but we did each have seconds. I can't imagine it without the romaine and scallions added at the end. They added texture, which it needed.
This is a variation of the classic Greek soup magiritsa, which is typically made from lamb, chicken broth, egg, and lemon, and is served to end the Lenten fast. Here, it's transformed into a fine fall dish using turkey leftovers.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 232
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 697mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 7 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- Dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cups leftover cooked turkey, shredded (light and dark meat)
- 1 cup cooked short-grain rice
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine 2 tablespoons lemon juice and flour in a bowl; whisk until smooth. Add eggs; whisk until combined.
- Bring 1 cup broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually add hot broth to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return egg mixture to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until slightly thick, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and a dash of salt, and sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Add 6 cups broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add turkey meat, and simmer 2 minutes. Add rice, and slowly whisk in egg mixture. Keep warm over low heat. Add remaining ingredients immediately before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This