More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 281
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sodium: 513mg
- Cholesterol: 136mg
- 4 firm-ripe tomatoes (each about 3 1/2 in. wide; about 3 lb. total)
- 1 pound ground lean turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram leaves or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup fine dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Basil, marjoram, or oregano sprigs
- 1. Rinse tomatoes; cut 1/2 inch horizontally off the top of each and save. With a spoon, scoop soft pulp and seeds from tomatoes, leaving a 1/4- to 1/3-inch-thick wall; save pulp mixture. Drain tomatoes, cut side down, on towels.
- 2. Chop enough pulp mixture to make 2/3 cup; reserve remainder for other uses. In a bowl, mix pulp, turkey, shallots, garlic, egg, basil, parsley, marjoram, oregano, bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 3. Fill tomatoes equally with the seasoned turkey mixture; set cut side up in a 2- to 3-quart shallow casserole. Set tomato tops, cut side down, between tomatoes.
- 4. Bake in a 375° oven until filling is firm when gently pressed in center, 35 to 40 minutes (30 to 35 minutes in a convection oven). Set tomato tops on filling. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with herb sprigs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This