- 4 firm-ripe tomatoes (each about 3 1/2 in. wide; about 3 lb. total)
- 1 pound ground lean turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram leaves or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup fine dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Basil, marjoram, or oregano sprigs
- calories 281
- caloriesfromfat 35 %
- protein 25 g
- fat 11 g
- satfat 2.9 g
- carbohydrate 21 g
- fiber 3.8 g
- sodium 513 mg
- cholesterol 136 mg
How to Make It
Rinse tomatoes; cut 1/2 inch horizontally off the top of each and save. With a spoon, scoop soft pulp and seeds from tomatoes, leaving a 1/4- to 1/3-inch-thick wall; save pulp mixture. Drain tomatoes, cut side down, on towels.
Chop enough pulp mixture to make 2/3 cup; reserve remainder for other uses. In a bowl, mix pulp, turkey, shallots, garlic, egg, basil, parsley, marjoram, oregano, bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Fill tomatoes equally with the seasoned turkey mixture; set cut side up in a 2- to 3-quart shallow casserole. Set tomato tops, cut side down, between tomatoes.
Bake in a 375° oven until filling is firm when gently pressed in center, 35 to 40 minutes (30 to 35 minutes in a convection oven). Set tomato tops on filling. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with herb sprigs.