Turkey, Fast and Easy
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 120 minutes.
More From Health
- Calories: 295
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 51g
- Carbohydrate: 0.0g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 132mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 294mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 1 (8- to 10-pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water or stock, plus additional
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 500°.
- 2. Rinse turkey; remove giblets, gizzard, and neck, and set aside.
- 3. Place turkey on a rack in broiler pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 cup water or stock to bottom of the pan along with turkey giblets, gizzard, neck, and any other trimmings. Place turkey in oven, legs-first.
- 4. Roast at 500° for 20-30 minutes or until top of turkey begins to brown; reduce heat to 350°. Continue to roast, checking after 1 hour or so; to keep top from overbrowning, cover with aluminum foil. If bottom of pan dries out, add water or stock, 1/2 cup at a time. Turkey is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh measures 180°. If top is still not browned enough, remove foil and increase heat to 425° for last 20-30 minutes of cooking time.
- 5. Remove turkey from oven. Transfer to platter and make Simple Sherry Gravy while turkey rests (let sit for 20 minutes before carving).
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note