Notes: Leftover turkey and mashed potatoes are the main ingredients in this quick, hearty chowder devised by Betty Jean Nichols. She prefers to use canned corn with red and green peppers, which add flecks of color to the soup.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 343
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Sodium: 572mg
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- 2 slices bacon (about 2 oz. total), chopped
- 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 quart low-fat (1%) milk
- 4 cups cooked mashed potatoes
- 3 cups 1/2-inch chunks cooked turkey
- 2 cans (11 oz. each) corn, drained (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir bacon often until browned around the edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion and stir often until onion is limp, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir in milk, mashed potatoes, turkey, corn, cilantro, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until soup is hot and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This