Turkey Chipotle Masa Stew
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 275
- Calories from fat: 5.5%
- Protein: 43g
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 448mg
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- 1 pound boned, skinned turkey breast
- 1 1/2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 onion (about 1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 1 or 2 canned chipotle chilies
- 1/2 cup dehydrated masa flour (corn tortilla flour)
- 1 can (about 15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- Cilantro or parsley sprigs
- 1. In a 4- to 5-quart pan over high heat, bring turkey breast, broth, and onion to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until turkey is no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), 8 to 10 minutes.
- 2. With a slotted spoon, lift turkey from broth. When cool enough to touch, in 5 to 6 minutes, tear meat into fine shreds.
- 3. Meanwhile, wearing gloves, cut out and discard chili seeds and veins. Finely chop chilies.
- 4. Whisk masa into broth. Add tomatoes (with juice), then chilies to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Add turkey and stir just until hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5. Ladle into wide bowls. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews