Turkey Cakes with Spicy Roasted Tomato Salsa
"Making the most of Thanksgiving leftovers" by Michael Hastings. Recipe adapted from "The Fine Cooking Thanksgiving Cookbook" from the editors of Fine Cooking magazine. Winston-Salem Journal: November 21, 2012.
Refrigerate: 30 Minutes
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 1/3 cup(s) diced cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon(s) finely chopped chives or diced scallion
- 1 fresh red or green chile, such as jalapeno or Serrano, cored, seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup(s) fresh bread crumbs
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoon(s) fesh lime juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) leftover turkey cream, or heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon(s) cold water
- 1/4 cup(s) fine cornmeal
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- Spicy Roasted Tomato Salsa, store-bought or homemade (about 1 cup)
- 1. Put diced turkey in food processor and pulse until very finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl and add cilantro, chives or scallion, chile, breadcrumbs, lime zest, lime juice, and gravy or cream. Mix until well combined. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the egg yolk. With wet hands, mold the mixture into eight patties 1/2-inch thick; they should just hold together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. Put an empty baking sheet in the oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Put cornmeal in a shallow bowl. Whisk egg white with the water and place in a second shallow bowl. Dip each patty one at a time in the egg white, then coat with the cornmeal. Set aside.
- 3. Heat large frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the patties, about four at a time or as needed to avoid overcrowding. Allow an inch or more between patties to facilitate browning. Cook until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with second batch as needed, then transfer patties to the hot baking sheet in the oven. Bake until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve with the salsa.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note