Turkey Cakes with Spicy Roasted Tomato Salsa
Refrigerate: 30 Minutes
- 1 1/3 cup(s) diced cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon(s) finely chopped chives or diced scallion
- 1 fresh red or green chile, such as jalapeno or Serrano, cored, seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup(s) fresh bread crumbs
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoon(s) fesh lime juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) leftover turkey cream, or heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon(s) cold water
- 1/4 cup(s) fine cornmeal
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- Spicy Roasted Tomato Salsa, store-bought or homemade (about 1 cup)
- 1. Put diced turkey in food processor and pulse until very finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl and add cilantro, chives or scallion, chile, breadcrumbs, lime zest, lime juice, and gravy or cream. Mix until well combined. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the egg yolk. With wet hands, mold the mixture into eight patties 1/2-inch thick; they should just hold together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. Put an empty baking sheet in the oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Put cornmeal in a shallow bowl. Whisk egg white with the water and place in a second shallow bowl. Dip each patty one at a time in the egg white, then coat with the cornmeal. Set aside.
- 3. Heat large frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the patties, about four at a time or as needed to avoid overcrowding. Allow an inch or more between patties to facilitate browning. Cook until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with second batch as needed, then transfer patties to the hot baking sheet in the oven. Bake until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve with the salsa.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note