Turkey Cabbage Rolls
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 330
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 28g
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 996mg
- Cholesterol: 83mg
- 1 head savoy cabbage (about 1 1/4 lb.)
- 1 jar (16 oz.) sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound ground lean turkey
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup dried precooked white rice
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup fat-skimmed beef broth
- Nonfat or low-fat sour cream
- 1. In a 2 1/2- to 3-inch-deep 12-inch frying pan or 5- to 6-quart pan, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil over high heat.
- 2. Cut out and discard cabbage core. Carefully separate leaves from head, keeping them whole.
- 3. Add cabbage to pan, cover, and cook until leaves are wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain water from pan and fill with cold water. Drain again.
- 4. Cut thickest parts of tough stems from the 8 largest leaves; set leaves aside. Finely chop stems and remaining leaves.
- 5. In pan, mix chopped cabbage with sauerkraut and paprika; spread flat.
- 6. In a bowl, mix ground turkey, onion, egg white, rice, parsley, bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 7. Mound 1/8 of the meat mixture at stem end of cupped side of each reserved cabbage leaf. Form the meat into a horizontal log 2 1/2 to 3 inches long, fold leaf sides over meat, then roll from stem end to enclose. Set rolls, seams down, on sauerkraut mixture in pan.
- 8. Mix tomato juice and broth. Pour over cabbage rolls. Cover pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until meat is no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), 10 to 12 minutes.
- 9. Spoon stuffed cabbage rolls and sauerkraut mixture into shallow rimmed bowls. Add sour cream, salt, and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes