Pretty easy. Made to directions except added another can of beans, a bit too tomato-y for us.
Turkey Black Bean Chili
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 251
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Sodium: 538mg
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large poblano chile, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cans (28 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, preferably reduced-sodium, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons agave nectar or 2 tsp. sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt (optional)
- Shredded cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper, chile, and garlic, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes. Add turkey, increase heat to high, and cook, stirring often and breaking meat into chunks, until it's no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and agave. Cover and bring chili to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors are blended, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir in lime juice. If you like, add salt to taste and serve with cheese and cilantro.
- Make ahead: Up to 3 days, chilled. To transport, bring to boiling and pack in a preheated thermos.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews