Turkey Barley or Rice Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- Carcass from cooked 10- to 12-pound turkey
- 3 quart(s) (12 cups) water
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) dried sage, thyme or poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked pearl barley or rice
- 3 medium carrots, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 medium stalk(s) celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 3 cup(s) cut-up cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh parsley, if desired
- 1. Bread up turkey carcass to fit into a Dutch oven or large stockpot. Add water and bay leaves. If desired, add sage, thyme or poultry seasoning. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover, gently simmer 2 hours or until broth develops a good flavor.
- 2. Skim off any residue that rises to the surface. Strain to remove and discard bones and bay leaves. If any meat remains on bones, it can be removed and diced; set aside to use in soup; cool.
- 3. Skim fat from broth, discard. Add any turkey meat cut from bones to broth; stir in barley or rice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover, simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until barley or rice is tender.
- 4. Stir in carrots, onion, celery and 3 cups cooked turkey. Simmer uncovered 20 to 25 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables and barley are tender. Stir in parsley.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note