Needs quantity of turkey listed in ingredients list
Turkey and Brown Rice Stuffed Peppers w/ Tangy Tomato Sauce
Community Recipe from
- 4 whole(s) bell peppers
- 1 cup(s) cooked brown rice
- 1 can(s) low sodium or sodium free tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon(s) white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) low fat shredded cheese
- 1 whole(s) tomato puree
- 1/2 whole(s) onion chopped
- 1-2 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1-2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 8 tablespoon(s) water
- 1-1/2 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 dash(es) salt optional
- 4 tablespoon(s) sour cream optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut tops off of bell peppers and clean the seeds and insides out. Boil all four peppers for 4-6 minutes on each side. Remove from water and place upside down on a paper towels to remove any excess water.
- Meanwhile, on medium-high heat, brown turkey in 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt (salt is optional) in skillet, then add onions. After onions are soft, add 2 tbsp water, black pepper, cumin and chili powder. Mix and let simmer for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- While browning turkey, in small saucepan, bring 8 tbsp water to boil, add vinegar and simmer for 2 min. Turn heat down to medium-low, then add crushed tomatoes, tomato soup, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, sugar and 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Mix well and let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Spray 9x9 casserole with olive oil cooking spray. Place peppers right side up in casserole and fill each pepper with 1/4 cup of brown rice. Add 1 tbsp tomato mixture in each pepper. Then add meat/onion mixture. Drizzle small amounts of tomato mixture over all four peppers. Set aside remaining sauce.
- Spray foil with cooking spray and cover peppers, cook for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle each pepper with shredded cheese. Place in oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let stand for 5 minutes, and drizzle remaining tomato mixture over peppers. Serve with a dollop of sour cream - (optional).
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Colofire and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note