Slightly labor intensive (usual for working with phyllo), but delicious enough to make up for it. I love garlic, so I added extra to the Harissa, but the garlic was a bit too much. Besides that, the harissa was delicious! Also, I cooked them for only 8 minutes, and this was actually too long- the egg yolk was solid, not slightly runny like pictured.
Tunisian Brik-Style Eggs
More From Cooking Light
Total: 55 Minutes
- Calories: 277
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 13.1g
- Carbohydrate: 29.2g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 224mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 612mg
- Calcium: 135mg
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups (1-inch) cubed Yukon gold potato (about 12 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 4 (13 x 18-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Cooking spray
- 4 large eggs, chilled
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. To prepare harissa, place caraway and cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Place seed mixture, ancho chile pepper, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a blender; process until smooth.
- 2. To prepare brik, place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- 3. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 4. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; swirl to coat. Add potatoes, turmeric, salt, and ground red pepper (if desired); sauté 6 minutes or until edges are crisp. Add parsley and green onions; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- 5. Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a large cutting board or work surface (cover remaining phyllo to prevent drying); coat phyllo with cooking spray. Fold sheet in half like a book. Coat bottom third of phyllo with cooking spray (narrow end should be facing you). Fold bottom third up. Arrange 1/4 of the potatoes in a circle in center of the bottom (folded) third of the phyllo, creating a nest for the egg. Crack 1 egg into center of potatoes. Sprinkle 1/4 of feta over egg. Sprinkle with black pepper. Fold top third of phyllo over egg, potatoes, and cheese, folding in sides to form a packet. Place packet on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining phyllo, potatoes, eggs, cheese, and black pepper. Combine egg white and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Brush phyllo packets with egg white mixture. Bake at 450° for 9 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Spoon harissa evenly over brik, and sprinkle with cilantro.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note