This was outstanding. However, I did not make the sauce on top. To make it easier. I folded two sheets of phyllo into a square that would hold the potato and egg. Then I folded another and placed it over the top, brushed it with egg and put in the oven. My husband thought it was delicious. The runny egg with the crispy phyllo and a bite of potato was wonderful.
Tunisian Brik-Style Eggs
More From Cooking Light
Total: 55 Minutes
- Calories: 277
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 13.1g
- Carbohydrate: 29.2g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 224mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 612mg
- Calcium: 135mg
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups (1-inch) cubed Yukon gold potato (about 12 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 4 (13 x 18-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Cooking spray
- 4 large eggs, chilled
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. To prepare harissa, place caraway and cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Place seed mixture, ancho chile pepper, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a blender; process until smooth.
- 2. To prepare brik, place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- 3. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 4. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; swirl to coat. Add potatoes, turmeric, salt, and ground red pepper (if desired); sauté 6 minutes or until edges are crisp. Add parsley and green onions; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- 5. Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a large cutting board or work surface (cover remaining phyllo to prevent drying); coat phyllo with cooking spray. Fold sheet in half like a book. Coat bottom third of phyllo with cooking spray (narrow end should be facing you). Fold bottom third up. Arrange 1/4 of the potatoes in a circle in center of the bottom (folded) third of the phyllo, creating a nest for the egg. Crack 1 egg into center of potatoes. Sprinkle 1/4 of feta over egg. Sprinkle with black pepper. Fold top third of phyllo over egg, potatoes, and cheese, folding in sides to form a packet. Place packet on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining phyllo, potatoes, eggs, cheese, and black pepper. Combine egg white and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Brush phyllo packets with egg white mixture. Bake at 450° for 9 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Spoon harissa evenly over brik, and sprinkle with cilantro.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note