Tuna Summer Rolls
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Melanie J. Clarke
Seasoned sushi rice replaces traditional rice noodles in these summer rolls. Use shrimp in place of tuna to vary the recipe.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 149
- Calories from fat: 3%
- Fat: 0.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 9.1g
- Carbohydrate: 25.6g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 388mg
- Calcium: 24mg
- 1 cup uncooked sushi rice or short-grain rice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeño pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (1/2-pound) tuna steak
- 8 (8-inch) round sheets rice paper
- 2 cups trimmed watercress
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño pepper
- To prepare rolls, rinse the rice thoroughly in a sieve. Drain well. Bring 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in ginger, mirin, minced jalapeño pepper, shallots, sugar, fish sauce, and salt.
- Combine soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar; brush over tuna. Marinate in refrigerator 10 minutes. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tuna to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Cut tuna into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices.
- Add hot water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish. Let stand 30 seconds or just until soft.
- Place sheet on a flat surface. Arrange 1/4 cup watercress to cover half of sheet, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with 1/3 cup rice mixture; spread evenly. Arrange 1 tuna slice over rice. Fold sides of sheet over filling; starting with filled side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Repeat procedure with remaining rice paper sheets, watercress, rice mixture, and tuna. Cut each roll in half diagonally.
- To prepare sauce, combine vinegar and remaining ingredients. Arrange 2 roll halves on each of 8 plates; serve 2 1/4 teaspoons sauce with each serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Tuna Summer Rolls Recipe at a Glance