Delicious. I substituted carrots and peas for celery and mushrooms as my family likes them better and left off the cracker layer to make it a bit more healthy. I added it to my recipe file and will definitely make this again.
Tuna Noodle Casserole from scratch
You can lose a lot of sodium by making your own sauce instead of using canned cream-of-something soup. Ronzoni's Garden Delight Radiattore pasta would be a great substitution for egg noodles and would bump up the veggie content and add color.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 can(s) (6 oz each) solid white tuna in water, drained
- 2 cup(s) 1% or 2% milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 2 ounce(s) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried thyme OR
- 6 ounce(s) extra-wide egg noodles (about 4 cups)
- 4 tablespoon(s) flour
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh thyme, chopped
- 3/4 cup(s) frozen peas
- 6 reduced-fat buttery crackers
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3/4 cup(s) sliced green onions
- 6 ounce(s) sliced mushrooms
- Cook noodles of choice per package directions, omitting salt & fat. Drain and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, saute celery and mushrooms in butter over high heat 7 minutes; add peas and green onions and saute until mushroom liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Stir in flour (may need to add a dab more butter or oil) and stir to blend. When bubbling, add milk and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add parsley, thyme, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Layer noodles, sauce and tuna (broken up) to casserole. Crumble crackers, such as Ritz, Waverly Wafers or Club crackers (or saltines if that's what you have) over top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 20 to 30 minutes until heated through and bubbling.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by hoboshm and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note