- 1 small lemon
- 1/2 bulb fennel, stalks trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 to 10 sourdough or French bread rolls
- 30 ounces oil-packed tuna, drained (see Notes)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped brined capers
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped dill
- calories 266
- caloriesfromfat 42 %
- protein 22 g
- fat 13 g
- satfat 1.2 g
- carbohydrate 17 g
- fiber 1.6 g
- sodium 787 mg
- cholesterol 34 mg
How to Make It
Slice lemon very thinly using a knife or mandoline. Quarter lemon slices, removing any remaining seeds. Very thinly slice fennel bulb the same way. In a medium bowl, toss together lemon, fennel, and salt and let sit 20 minutes.
Slice rolls in half lengthwise. Scoop out about 3/4 of the bread from the top and bottom halves to create pockets; save scooped-out bread for another use, such as bread crumbs, if you like.
In a medium bowl, toss together tuna, olive oil, capers, olives, and dill. Gently stir in lemon-fennel mixture. Fill sourdough roll bottoms with salad, dividing evenly, and set tops on salad.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.