This were very yummy and the avocado-buttermilk sauce made it even better. I did bake the croquettes for an extra 10 minutes as they didn't seem to get brown enough. They were fine, but we like things a little crispier.
A tangy avocado-buttermilk sauce gives these simple croquettes fresh appeal. Serve them with lettuce or on soft hamburger buns.
More From Southern Living
Total: 30 Minutes
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 5 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 (5-oz.) cans solid white tuna in water, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 1/4 cups seasoned panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup butter
- Butter lettuce leaves
- Lime wedges
- 1. Grate zest from lime to equal 2 tsp. Cut lime in half; squeeze juice from lime to equal 5 tsp.
- 2. Process 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup cilantro, next 3 ingredients, 1 Tbsp. water, and 3 tsp. lime juice in a food processor until smooth.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together tuna, next 2 ingredients, lime zest, and remaining 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup cilantro, and 2 tsp. lime juice. Gently stir in 2/3 cup panko. Shape mixture into 8 (2-inch-wide) patties. Dredge in remaining panko.
- 4. Melt butter in a large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat; add patties to skillet, and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to oven.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Serve over lettuce with avocado mixture and lime wedges.
- Note: We tested with Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore in Water.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note