I'm not by any means a great cook and when I showed my husband what I wanted to make the first thing he said was, "great, you're gonna mess up my kitchen." Well after all was said and done, kitchen was only a slight disaster and my oldest said that these were better than the food my husband makes!! Super easy for the novice cook!!
Tuna Cornbread Cakes
If you like tuna fish and are looking for a new way to serve it - you will love this recipe for Tuna Cornbread Cakes. They resemble crab cakes but call for pre-packaged light tuna chunks which make for quick and easy prep. Serve cakes with homemade Lemon Aïoli for a flavorful condiment or dipping sauce.
More From Southern Living
Cool: 6 Minutes
- 1 (6-oz.) package buttermilk cornbread mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (5-oz.) aluminum foil pouches herb-and-garlic-flavored light tuna chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Lemon Aïoli
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Stir together cornbread mix and 2/3 cup milk. Pour batter into a lightly greased 8-inch square pan.
- 2. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack 5 minutes or just until warm.
- 3. Stir together mayonnaise and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- 4. Crumble cornbread to equal 2 cups. Reserve remaining cornbread for another use. Fold cornbread crumbs and tuna chunks into mayonnaise mixture until well blended. Shape tuna mixture into 8 (3- to 3 1/2-inch) patties.
- 5. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter with vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tuna patties, and cook, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Serve cakes with Lemon Aïoli.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Martha White Buttermilk Cornbread Mix and StarKist Tuna Creations Herb & Garlic Chunk Light Tuna.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes