- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 4 ounces sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons red miso (soybean paste)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 serrano chile, thinly sliced
- Remaining ingredients:
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
How to Make It
To prepare meatballs, heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms, 1 tablespoon minced ginger, and 1 tablespoon garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add sherry; cook 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat; cool. Place mushroom mixture and miso in a mini chopper; pulse 10 times or until very finely chopped.
Combine mushroom mixture, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons minced ginger, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, chicken, and next 6 ingredients (through egg white) in a bowl. Shape mixture into 36 (1-inch) meatballs. Thread 3 meatballs onto each of 12 (6-inch) flat bamboo skewers. Chill for 30 minutes.
To prepare sauce, combine mirin, soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in juice, 2 teaspoons grated ginger, and serrano. Reserve 2 tablespoons sauce.
Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place 6 skewers in pan; cook 9 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan; brush half of sauce over meatballs. Repeat procedure with remaining 6 skewers and sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds; serve with reserved 2 tablespoons sauce.