really tasty and done in no time!
Truffled Mac and Cheese
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Total: 44 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 418
- Fat: 13.2g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 18.9g
- Carbohydrate: 55.2g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 528mg
- Calcium: 325mg
- 2 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 2 cups sliced onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Comte or Gruyere cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white truffle oil
- 2 ounces French bread baguette, torn
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. Heat 1 3/4 cups milk, onion, and bay leaf in a large saucepan to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edges (do not boil). Cover and remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- 3. Strain milk mixture through a colander over a bowl; discard solids. Return milk to saucepan over medium heat. Combine remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Gradually stir flour mixture and salt into warm milk, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 6 minutes or until mixture cools to 155°. Gradually add fontina and Comté cheeses, stirring until cheeses melt. Stir in pasta and truffle oil. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart broiler-safe glass or ceramic baking dish.
- 4. Preheat broiler.
- 5. Place bread, Parmesan cheese, and garlic in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs form. Drizzle with olive oil; pulse until fine crumbs form. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over pasta. Place dish on middle rack in oven; broil 2 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes