You won't go wrong with this one. Outstanding. *Don't* be tempted to skip the fresh tarragon -- it's so worth it. I'd never tried fresh tarragon before and was surprised to discover it has a mild anise taste -- and the dimension it adds to the dish is fantastic. I didn't bother to sieve the corn puree and it was still creamy and delicious. Save yourself the trouble. Served with buttered orzo and balsamic-lemon cooked kale.
Trout with Sweet Corn Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 376
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 17g
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 540mg
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- 1 1/4 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 or 3 ears)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 large whole trout (12 oz.), butterflied, with backbone, pin bones, and head removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh tarragon, plus 2 tbsp. whole tarragon leaves
- 1. In a medium nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, cook corn in butter, stirring often, until corn begins to turn brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon 2/3 cup into a small saucepan. Set aside frying pan with remaining corn.
- 2. Add broth to saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat and simmer, covered, until corn is tender, about 10 minutes. Purée mixture in a blender, then rub through a fine strainer into a microwave-safe bowl, discarding hulls. Stir in cream. Season with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper; set aside.
- 3. Open up trout and season on both sides with remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Protecting hands, carefully add fish skin side down (it will spatter) and cook, occasionally basting flesh with oil, until skin is well browned and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking and basting until flesh is no longer pink, 3 to 5 more minutes.
- 4. Rewarm corn kernels in frying pan over medium-high heat and stir in chopped tarragon. Microwave corn sauce to rewarm. Cut trout in half with scissors.
- 5. Spoon sauce onto 2 plates and arrange a trout half on each, discarding oil in pan. Mound corn on fish and scatter with tarragon leaves. Season with more salt to taste.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes