I made the salad as a side salad for a dinner party. Substituted peaches for mangoes, since they are just coming in season, and pecans for pistachios, since not everyone likes them. Served with the basil vinaigrette and it was devoured. Everybody loved it! Will definitely try again with barbecued shrimp for a light easy summer supper.
Tropical Spinach Salad With Grilled Shrimp
Omit the shrimp and serve this as a side salad, or try one of the chicken or pork variations below.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- Citrus Marinade
- 8 (12-inch) wooden skewers
- 2 (6-ounce) bags fresh baby spinach
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium-size red onion, sliced
- 1 (3-ounce) package goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachio nuts
- Fresh Basil Vinaigrette
- Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
- Place shrimp in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag, and add Citrus Marinade. Seal and shake to coat. Chill 1 hour.
- Soak skewers in water to cover for 30 minutes
- Remove shrimp from marinade, discarding marinade. Thread shrimp onto skewers.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 2 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp from skewers.
- Arrange baby spinach on a large serving platter. Top evenly with mango slices, onion slices, and grilled shrimp. Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese, raspberries, and chopped pistachio nuts. Serve with Fresh Basil Vinaigrette.
- Tropical Spinach Salad With Grilled Pork Tenderloin: Substitute 2 (1-pound) pork tenderloins for shrimp. Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 10 to 12 minutes on each side or until a meat themometer inserted into thickest portion registers 155°. Let stand 10 minutes. Slice and serve as directed.
- Tropical Spinach Salad With Grilled Chicken: Substitute 6 skinned and boned chicken breasts for shrimp. Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 4 minutes on each side or until done. Let stand 10 minutes. Slice and serve as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note