Tropical Rice Pudding
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Buffy Hargett Miller
More From Southern Living
Total: 55 Minutes
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh pineapple*
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed orange zest
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange extract**
- Toppings: fresh pineapple, navel orange segments, toasted unsweetened coconut, sweetened whipped cream, ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks, fresh mint sprigs
- 1. Bring first 4 ingredients to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium-high seat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring often, 20 to 25 minutes or until milk is reduced by half and rice is very tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk together cream and eggs. Whisk 2 Tbsp. hot rice mixture into cream mixture. Reduce heat to low; stir cream mixture into remaining rice mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat; stir in pineapple and next 3 ingredients. Serve hot or cold with desired toppings.
- *1 (8-oz.) can pineapple tidbits, drained, may be substituted.
- **Vanilla extract may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note