Tropical Fruit Soup
Photo: James Carrier
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 438
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Protein: 9.8g
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 433mg
- Cholesterol: 232mg
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 in.)
- 1 star anise
- 8 whole cloves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 stalks (about 2 oz.) fresh lemon grass
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 4 thin, quarter-size slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 piece vanilla bean (2 in.)
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- About 2 cups fruit (see notes)
- 1 pint coconut or tropical fruit sorbet
- Mint sprigs, rinsed
- 1. Put cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and peppercorns in a heavy plastic food bag; coarsely crush with a rolling pin.
- 2. Trim and discard root ends and coarse outer leaves from lemon grass. Chop tender white part of stalks.
- 3. In a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan over high heat, combine 2 cups water, crushed spices, lemon grass, 2/3 cup sugar, orange peel, and ginger. Slit vanilla bean lengthwise; scrape seeds into pan and add pod. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover, and let stand at least 1 hour.
- 4. Pour spice syrup through a fine strainer into a bowl; discard residue. Add rum, cover, and chill until cold, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a bowl with a mixer on high speed, whip egg white until it holds soft peaks. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, and continue to beat until white holds distinct peaks. Fold in coconut.
- 6. Line a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet with cooking paper or parchment. With a narrow spatula, spread egg white mixture in a 10- by 13-inch rectangle.
- 7. Bake in a 350° oven until meringue is deep golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool on sheet to room temperature. Gently pull off paper, then break meringue into 4 or 8 equal pieces.
- 8. Spoon fruit equally into wide soup bowls and fill equally with spice syrup. Scoop sorbet into balls and add equally to bowls; insert meringue pieces into sorbet, and garnish with mint sprigs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts