- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 pineapple, diced
- 2 ripe papayas, diced
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 roasted yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 poblano chiles, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 30 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 ripe avocados, cut into wedges
- Freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
Sprinkle onion slices with coarse salt, and rub them between your hands until you no longer feel the salt. Drain onions in a colander 15 minutes. Wring out as much liquid as you can by squeezing small bunches of the slices in your fists.
Combine onions, pineapple, and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine olive oil and vinegar; toss with fruit mixture.
Grill shrimp 3 minutes on each side or until opaque, and immediately toss into the salad. Gently stir in avocado. Season to taste with black pepper.