Make this and you can skip going to Cinnabon. A very good substitute for those calorie-laden treats.
Triple-Play Cinnamon Rolls
Three sugars go into these rolls: Granulated sweetens the dough, brown adds a light molasses flavor to the filling, and powdered sweetens the glaze. Use dental floss to make easy work of cutting the dough.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 200
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 38.3g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 134mg
- Calcium: 28mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1/2 cup warm 1% low-fat milk (100° to 110°)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare dough, dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup warm milk, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, salt, and egg; stir with a wooden spoon until combined (batter will not be completely smooth).
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 3 cups flour to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel slightly tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray; turn to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- To prepare filling, combine raisins, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Roll dough into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle; brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle filling over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Beginning with a long side, roll up dough jelly-roll fashion; pinch seam to seal (do not seal ends of roll). Wrap roll in plastic wrap; chill for 20 minutes.
- Unwrap roll, and cut into 20 (1/2-inch) slices. Arrange slices, cut sides up, 1 inch apart on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°) free from drafts, 1 hour and 15 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover dough. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
- To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle glaze over warm rolls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Triple-Play Cinnamon Rolls Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads, Breakfast/Brunch
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Gifts, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Sodium, Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter, Christmas, Easter, Kwanzaa, Mother's Day, Rosh Hashanah
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light