- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 14 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dark molasses
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup crystallized ginger, minced
How to Make It
Beat first 4 ingredients at medium-high speed with an electric mixer 30 seconds. Add egg white and fresh ginger; beat 1 minute. Sift together flour and next 6 ingredients. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat at low speed 30 seconds. Scrape bowl; fold in crystallized ginger.
Divide dough into 2 disks; wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill 4 hours to 3 days. Unwrap 1 dough disk; generously flour both sides. Place between 2 pieces of parchment paper, and roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Chill 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough disk.
Cut chilled dough with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter; place cookies 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Chill 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, in batches, 12 minutes. Rotate pans front to back; bake 4 more minutes. (Cookies will puff up and collapse.) Cool completely on parchment paper on wire racks.