Made these tonight for my husband's birthday. I read the first review and probably would have stopped there if I hadn't already purchased all of the ingredients. I forged ahead, substituting canola oil for the butter in hopes that would make them more moist (reducing the sat fat doesn't hurt either). Anyway, they were really really dry, not that sweet, and definitely not worth the calories.
Photo: Justin Walker; Styling: Missie Neville Crawford
Yield: Serves 12 (serving size: 1 muffin)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 35 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 228
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 37.6g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 163mg
- Calcium: 77mg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 1 1/2 ounces 60% bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Combine butter and bittersweet chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 45 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds. Stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through baking soda) in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- 4. Combine granulated sugar, milk, vanilla, and eggs in a bowl; stir with a whisk until well combined.
- 5. Add butter mixture and milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly among 12 lined muffin cups. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375° (do not remove muffins from oven). Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note