The cake is wonderful. I also often make a double recipe of the glaze and keep it in a jar in the refrigerator. It makes an excellent fudge sauce for ice cream, strawberries, etc. Just warm it in the microwave until it can be spooned out.
Chocolate lovers rejoice! This rich cake features three kinds of chocolate: cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, and milk chocolate. And you get chocolate in the cake batter, the filling and the glaze.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 25 Minutes
- Calories: 311
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 50.6g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 224mg
- Calcium: 66mg
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa, divided
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Cooking spray
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 8 ounces cake flour (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash of salt
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon instant espresso granules
- Dash of salt
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare cake, combine 1 cup boiling water and 1/2 cup cocoa. Add 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Coat 2 (8-inch) round metal cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust pans with remaining 1 tablespoon cocoa.
- 3. Place 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, 6 tablespoons butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 1 minute. Add egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture and cocoa mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat just until combined.
- 4. Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire racks. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Discard wax paper.
- 5. To prepare filling, combine 1/3 cup milk and the next 3 ingredients (through dash of salt) in a saucepan over medium-low heat; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add milk chocolate, stirring until smooth. Pour into bowl. Cover and chill. Uncover; fold in whipped topping.
- 6. To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar and remaining ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Place 1 cake layer on a plate. Spread filling over cake, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Top with remaining layer. Drizzle glaze over top of cake, spreading it out over edges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note