Prep: 45 min. + chilling
Yield: 36 Servings
35 10 45
•12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
•1/3 cup butter, cubed
•4 egg yolks, beaten
•1 tablespoon rum
•1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
•1/3 cup raisins
•1 tablespoon Cognac or brandy
•4-1/2 teaspoons orange liqueur
•1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
•1 tablespoon baking cocoa
•3 tablespoons grated chocolate
•3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
•2 teaspoons shortening
•In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, heat chocolate and butter until melted, stirring frequently. Whisk a small amount of mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
• Remove from the heat; divide mixture among three small bowls. Into one bowl, stir rum and coffee granules until smooth. Stir raisins and Cognac into another; stir orange liqueur and peel into the third bowl.
• Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle. Shape into 1-in. balls.
• Roll the coffee-flavored truffles in cocoa; roll the raisin-flavored truffles in grated chocolate.
• In a microwave, melt bittersweet chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip orange-flavored truffles in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
• Refrigerate truffles for 2 hours or until firm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts 1 truffle equals 94 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 13 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch
Go to full version of