Trim Tamale Pie
- 8 to 10 dried cornhusks, each 5 to 7 inches wide and long (optional)
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken breasts, fat trimmed
- 1 firm tomato (1/2 lb.), cored
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.)
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons dehydrated masa flour (corn tortilla flour)
- 3 1/4 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon anise seed
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Sliced green onions
- 1. Separate husks, discarding silks and debris. Rinse husks, then soak in warm water until pliable, at least 15 minutes.
- 2. Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks. Cut tomato and onion into slender wedges.
- 3. In a 3- to 4-quart pan, smoothly blend 2 tablespoons masa with 1/4 cup broth. Then add 1 1/4 cups more broth, onion, chili powder, vinegar, anise, and raisins. Stirring, bring mixture to a boil over high heat, then simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender to bite, about 8 minutes. Stir in chicken and tomato, and remove from heat.
- 4. In a bowl, mix remaining 2 cups masa, baking powder, and salt. Stir in oil and remaining 1 3/4 cups broth.
- 5. Drain husks. Overlapping husks, line a shallow 2 1/2-quart casserole (about 7 by 11 in.), allowing husk tips to extend above casserole rim. (Or lightly oil dish.)
- 6. With damp fingers, pat half the masa dough onto husks in casserole bottom. Add chicken mixture. Drop remaining dough in small spoonfuls onto filling.
- 7. Bake in a 425° oven until casserole is bubbling in center, about 45 minutes. Garnish with green onions.
- Per serving: 364 cal., 24% (89 cal.) from fat; 27 protein; 9.9 g fat (1.4
- g sat.); 45 g carbo (5.4 g fiber); 357 mg sodium; 44 mg chol.
- Per serving with guacasalsa: 394 cal., 27% (108 cal.) from fat; 27 g protein; 12 g fat (1.7 g sat.); 47 g carbo (5.6 g fiber); 519 mg sodium; 44 mg chol.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes