Tricolor Vegetable Latkes
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 yellow squash, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small leek, sliced
- 1 large baking potato, peeled
- 1/2 sweet potato, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons matzo meal
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Canola oil
- 4 ounces thinly sliced cold smoked salmon
- Sour cream
- Arrange grated zucchini and squash on a large baking pan; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Let vegetables rest 15 minutes. Drain well, pressing between paper towels, and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a small sauté pan, and sauté leek 3 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- Grate potatoes, and press between paper towels to remove excess water. Place potatoes in a large bowl; add zucchini, squash, leek, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, and stir gently. Add red onion and next 6 ingredients, stirring gently to combine.
- Heat 2 to 4 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon heaping tablespoons of latke mixture, squeeze out extra liquid, and form into flat patties. Fry latkes, in batches, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels. Top each with a piece of smoked salmon, a dollop of sour cream, and caviar. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables