- 2 (15-ounce) packages raisins, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package currants
- 3 (4-ounce) packages chopped candied citron
- 1 (16-ounce) package candied pineapple slices, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package candied red cherries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied orange peel
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied lemon peel
- 3 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup red wine
How to Make It
Combine first 8 ingredients; dredge with 3/4 cup flour, stirring to coat well. Set aside.
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in molasses.
Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and wine, mixing well after each addition. Stir in dredged fruit.
Spoon batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 275° for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until cake tests done. Cool cake completely in pan.