Tortilla Turkey Soup
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Amy Burke
Yield: Makes 8 cups
More From Southern Living
Total: 40 Minutes
- 10 (6-inch) fajita-size corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
- 1 (10-oz.) can medium enchilada sauce
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Toppings: chopped avocado, shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped tomatoes
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Place half of tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Coat strips with cooking spray; bake 10 minutes or until browned and crisp, stirring once.
- 2. Sauté onion and next 2 ingredients in hot olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until browned.
- 3. Add chicken broth and remaining unbaked tortilla strips to onion mixture. Cook broth mixture over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tortilla strips soften and broth mixture thickens slightly.
- 4. Stir in enchilada sauce and next 2 ingredients, and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. (Do not boil.) Serve with baked tortilla strips and desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews