Tortilla Turkey Soup
- 10 (6-inch) fajita-size corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
- 1 (10-oz.) can medium enchilada sauce
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Toppings: chopped avocado, shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped tomatoes
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°. Place half of tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Coat strips with cooking spray; bake 10 minutes or until browned and crisp, stirring once.
Sauté onion and next 2 ingredients in hot olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until browned.
Add chicken broth and remaining unbaked tortilla strips to onion mixture. Cook broth mixture over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tortilla strips soften and broth mixture thickens slightly.
Stir in enchilada sauce and next 2 ingredients, and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. (Do not boil.) Serve with baked tortilla strips and desired toppings.