This soup is phenomenal. I made it exactly as written (twice actually( and my husband and I couldn't get enough of it.
Tortilla Soup with Dried Chile, Fresh Cheese, and Avocado
Epazote is a pungent wild herb frequently used in Mexican cooking and sold in Latin markets. If you can't find it, substitute two teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup soup, 2 tablespoons cheese, about 1 tablespoon avocado, 1/3 cup tortilla strips, about 1 teaspoon chile, and 1 lime wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 154
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 7.4g
- Carbohydrate: 22.5g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 485mg
- Calcium: 72mg
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1 3/4 cups vertically sliced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 2 stemmed dried seeded pasilla (or 1 dried ancho) chiles
- 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried crumbled epazote leaves
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) queso fresco
- 1/3 cup cubed peeled avocado
- 1 large lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Place strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until golden. Set strips aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 7 minutes or until golden. Place onion mixture and tomato in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add chiles, and sauté 60 seconds or until fragrant. Remove chiles; cool completely. Remove and discard stems; chop chiles.
- Place pan over medium-high heat. Add tomato mixture, and cook 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick (consistency will resemble tomato paste), stirring frequently. Add broth and epazote; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl. Discard solids.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Divide the cheese, tortilla strips, and avocado evenly among bowls. Sprinkle each serving with crumbled toasted chile. Serve with lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews