- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese
- Avocado slices (optional)
How to Make It
Sauté first 4 ingredients in 3 tablespoons hot oil in a Dutch oven 5 minutes. Add chopped chicken and next 6 ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Fry tortilla strips in 1/2 cup hot oil in a large skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
Sprinkle fried strips and cheese over each serving. Top with avocado, if desired.