Very tasty. Substituted vegetable broth in place of chicken broth. Added a can of tomato purée. Otherwise followed recipe. Delicious and would definitely make again!
Tortilla Meatball Soup
If you can't find fresh corn on the cob, substitute 2 cups frozen corn kernels, and broil them with peppers. After making this Tortilla Meatball Soup, you can use a few leftover chipotle chiles to spice up a pot of beans, rice, stews, or canola mayonnaise.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 16.3g
- Saturated fat: 6.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 25g
- Carbohydrate: 33.1g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 631mg
- Calcium: 159mg
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 ears corn on the cob
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups (3/4-inch) cubed red potatoes
- 1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) slices carrot
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cut jalapeños and bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Arrange corn on baking sheet with peppers. Broil 4 to 6 minutes or until blackened, turning corn once. Place peppers in a paper bag; fold to seal. Let stand 15 minutes; peel. Mince jalapeños, and coarsely chop bell pepper. Cut corn kernels from cobs. Set aside.
- 3. Place tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking spray. Broil for 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning after 2 minutes. Set aside.
- 4. Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 garlic clove, panko, and the next 3 ingredients (through chipotle chile) in a large bowl, and gently mix until just combined. With moist hands, shape the meat mixture into 24 meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each).
- 5. Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add meatballs to pan; sauté for 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Add onion, potatoes, and carrot to pan; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining 5 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add peppers, broth, and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally. Return meatballs to pan. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and corn; return to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes or until meatballs are done. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 4 teaspoons Monterey Jack cheese, 2 teaspoons cheddar cheese, and 4 teaspoons cilantro. Top evenly with tortilla strips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note