I don't usually follow recipes exactly but I did pretty close this time. My family loves the flavor of this dish. We'll definitely make this a regular dinner at our house.
Tortilla Chip Casserole
Tortilla Chip Casserole retains all the full-flavor of this popular chicken comfort dish but with lighter ingredients.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
- Calories: 379
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 28.5g
- Carbohydrate: 34.2g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 686mg
- Calcium: 215mg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup organic canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 4 ounces baked tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces lower-sodium green chile enchilada sauce (such as Frontera)
- 2.5 ounces shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese blend (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 6 minutes. Add garlic and flour; cook 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and stock, stirring constantly; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, and cream cheese.
- 3. Spread 1/2 cup milk mixture over bottom of a broiler-safe 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Layer beans, 1 1/2 cups chicken, and 2 ounces chips. Top with 1/2 cup milk mixture. Layer 1 1/2 cups chicken, bell pepper, and 2 ounces chips; top with 1 cup milk mixture and enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.
- If you like wild rice, try Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole: Prepare Tortilla Chip Casserole through step 2, omitting milk, cumin, and coriander from sauce, and increasing onion to 1 cup and stock to 1 1/2 cups. Cook 2 slices chopped bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Remove bacon. Add 1 (8-ounce) container sliced button mushrooms to drippings in pan; cook 5 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 1 cup chopped leek, 1/2 cup chopped celery, and 1/2 cup chopped carrot; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 cup dry sherry; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Add leek mixture, 4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast, 3 cups cooked brown and wild rice blend, 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper to sauce; toss to combine. Scrape mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Toss 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs with 2 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Serves 6 Calories 475; Fat 16.9g (sat 6.6g); Sodium 535mg
- If you like poppy seeds try Poppy Seed Chicken: Prepare Tortilla Chip Casserole through step 2, omitting milk, cream cheese, cumin, and coriander from sauce. Add 1/4 cup finely chopped celery to the pan with the onion. Increase the chicken stock to 1 cup, and combine it with 1/2 cup half-and-half for the sauce. Remove from heat, and stir in 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Scrape the mixture into an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Combine 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, and 2 tablespoons melted butter in a bowl, and toss to combine. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top of casserole, and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Serves 6 Calories 235; Fat 12.7g (sat 4.8g); Sodium 288mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note