Tortilla Chicken Casserole
More From Oxmoor House
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups minced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 cups (12 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add bell pepper and next 3 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Stir in cumin, and cook 1 minute. Stir in flour; cook 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and sour cream; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken, and stir to blend.
- Soften tortillas by layering them between damp paper towels and heating in microwave, in several batches, at HIGH for 30 seconds.
- Arrange 4 tortillas in a lightly greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with one-third of chicken mixture (about 2 cups), sprinkle with 1 cup cheese, and cover with 4 more tortillas. Repeat layers with another one-third of chicken mixture, 1 cup cheese, 4 tortillas, and ending with remaining chicken and 1 cup cheese. Cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbling and browned.
- Note: You can also freeze this casserole. Follow the make-ahead directions above but freeze after preparing. When ready to cook it, bake foil-covered frozen casserole at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles