This is a serviceable everyday recipe. Definitely nothing special, but great for a fast, healthy dinner on weeknights. It is also a pretty good base recipe to play with adding additional veggies (I like spinach, also) but it would probably also be good with tomatoes.
Tortellini with Eggplant and Peppers
Photo: Dana Gallagher; Styling: Anna Last
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Real Simple
Other: 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 545
- Protein: 27g
- Carbohydrate: 67g
- Sugars: 7g
- Fiber: 9g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Sodium: 998mg
- Cholesterol: 62mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 pound cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, bell peppers, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the broth and tortellini. Cover and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the tortellini are cooked through and most of the broth is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
Fold in the parsley and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note