This easy chicken and vegetable soup recipe features packaged tortellini plus fresh veggies and a whole chicken that's cut into pieces.
More From Real Simple
Other: 1 Hour
- Calories: 570
- Protein: 64g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 3g
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Cholesterol: 169mg
- 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 carrots, cut into thin rounds
- 1/2 bunch Swiss chard, cut crosswise into 1-inch strips
- 1 8- to 9-ounce package tortellini, preferably vegetable
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan
- Rinse the chicken pieces and remove the skin. Place them in a large saucepan. Add the broth and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes. Skim any foam that rises to the surface. Transfer the chicken to a plate; let cool. Shred the meat; discard the bones.
Meanwhile, strain the broth and return it to the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the carrots, Swiss chard, tortellini, salt, and pepper. Simmer according to the tortellini's package directions. When the tortellini are done, add the chicken and heat for 3 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note