- 2 (20-ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- 1 (15-ounce) can pitted dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup, drained
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 white bread slices
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
How to Make It
Stir together pie filling, cherries, and 2 tablespoons flour. Stir in almond extract. Place in a lightly greased 8-inch-square baking dish.
Trim crusts from bread slices; cut each slice into 5 strips. Arrange bread strips over fruit mixture.
Stir together remaining 2 tablespoons flour, sugar, and next 3 ingredients; drizzle over bread strips.
Bake at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Too-Easy Peach Cobbler: Substitute 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen peaches, thawed and drained, for cherry pie filling and canned cherries. Omit almond extract and grated lemon rind. Proceed as directed.
Too-Easy Berry Cobbler: Substitute 1 (21-ounce) can blueberry pie filling and 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen whole strawberries, unthawed, for cherry pie filling and canned cherries. Omit almond extract; add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Proceed as directed.