This is my go to banana bread or muffin recipe. I've been using it at least every other month since it was published. It's freezes beautifully and people never guess that it's whole wheat or healthy. I use King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour instead of the pasry flour.
Toni's Banana Chocolate Chip Walnut Bread
"I adapted this from a vegan muffin recipe to create a healthful snack my always-hungry teenagers can enjoy on the go." -Toni Goodman, Lake Oswego, OR
Yield: 2 loaves; 16 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 150
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 25.8g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 153mg
- Calcium: 41mg
- 2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4)
- 1 cup vanilla fat-free yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat vanilla soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (about 20 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl. Add banana mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts until well combined. Divide mixture evenly between 2 (9 x 5-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Toni's Banana Chocolate Chip Walnut Bread Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breads