A burst of Parmesan when you take a bite, with melt-in-your-mouth sweet roasted tomatoes. I would just bulk up the filling with more sourdough, and add thyme to the mix. Served with chickpea stew.
Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Garlic, tomatoes, and olive oil permeate Provençale cuisine. Here, they combine in a dish that pairs tender roasted tomatoes with a crisp breadcrumb topping.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 73
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 2.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 10.8g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 234mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- 8 tomatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (1/2-ounce) slice sourdough bread
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Thyme leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut tops off tomatoes; discard. Carefully seed tomatoes, leaving shells intact. Sprinkle the cut sides of tomatoes with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place tomatoes, cut sides down, on several layers of paper towels; drain for 15 minutes.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1/2 cup. Combine breadcrumbs, 6 tablespoons parsley, cheese, and garlic in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the tomatoes, cut sides down, in pan, and saute for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat; turn the tomatoes over. Spoon about 2 tablespoons breadcrumb mixture over each tomato. Spray the breadcrumb mixture with cooking spray, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Wrap the handle of the pan with foil. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until the breadcrumb mixture browns. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Tomatoes Provençale Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables