Notes: Serve with grilled fish, chicken, or beef.
Yield: Makes 5 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 95
- Calories from fat: 57%
- Protein: 1.8g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 9.9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 53mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 5 firm-ripe tomatoes (each 2 1/2 in. wide; about 1 3/4 lb. total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup coarse fresh French bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil or more parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Rinse tomatoes, core, cut in half crosswise, and gently squeeze out seeds. Drain cut side down on towels.
- 2. Pour 1 tablespoon oil into a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, set as many tomatoes as will fit in a single layer, cut side down, in pan. Cook, turning once, until lightly browned on both ends, 6 to 8 minutes total. Set tomatoes, cut side up, in a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart casserole. Brown any remaining tomato halves.
- 3. In a bowl, mix crumbs with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, parsley, basil, and chervil. Pat mixture evenly over tomatoes.
- 4. Broil tomatoes 4 inches from heat until crumbs are golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot or warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables