- 5 firm-ripe tomatoes (each 2 1/2 in. wide; about 1 3/4 lb. total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup coarse fresh French bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil or more parsley
- Salt and pepper
- calories 95
- caloriesfromfat 57 %
- protein 1.8 g
- fat 6 g
- satfat 0.8 g
- carbohydrate 9.9 g
- fiber 2 g
- sodium 53 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Rinse tomatoes, core, cut in half crosswise, and gently squeeze out seeds. Drain cut side down on towels.
Pour 1 tablespoon oil into a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, set as many tomatoes as will fit in a single layer, cut side down, in pan. Cook, turning once, until lightly browned on both ends, 6 to 8 minutes total. Set tomatoes, cut side up, in a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart casserole. Brown any remaining tomato halves.
In a bowl, mix crumbs with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, parsley, basil, and chervil. Pat mixture evenly over tomatoes.
Broil tomatoes 4 inches from heat until crumbs are golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot or warm.