Loved this recipe! My guy and I couldn't get enough! I followed the recipe pretty closely but didn't have heirloom tomatoes so I used some small vine ripened tomatoes. I used dried thyme and an aged Swiss instead of Fontina because the store I went to did not have fontina. Other than that I followed the recipe and was so pleased. I will probably make the same recipe again but I was also stoked to learn the method because I already started thinking about other things I could do with this. Also, I think this tart serves about 4 people if you are not having any sides with it besides the cherry tomatoes. Took about 15 minutes longer to cook in my oven. Delicious!
Photo: Francesco Tonelli; Styling: Philippa Brathwaite
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 244
- Fat: 13.9g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 8.9g
- Carbohydrate: 22.7g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 96mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 596mg
- Calcium: 134mg
- 1/2 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough
- Cooking spray
- 2.5 ounces fontina cheese, shredded (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced shallots
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Roll dough to a 12-inch circle; press into a 9-inch deep-dish tart or springform pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with fontina, olives, and shallots. Arrange half of tomato slices over shallots Combine flour, cornmeal, and thyme; sprinkle over tomatoes. Top with remaining tomato slices; sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- 3. Combine milk, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and eggs; pour into pan. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until set; let stand 10 minutes. Top with basil.
- 4. Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt and cherry tomatoes. Slice tart; serve with cherry tomatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes